Special dry food for adult cats with diabetes mellitus, with low carbohydrate content. Especially formulated to regulate the glucose supply, with a higher protein content for good muscle mass.
- Please seek your vet's advice before using this food or extending the feeding period.
- When feeding your cat with a veterinary diet you should consult your vet regularly for check-ups.
- If your cat's health deteriorates please seek veterinary advice immediately.
If your cat has diabetes it may also have a reduced appetite. Feeding it a consistent diet with a regulated glucose supply can help to manage the illness.
Royal Canin Veterinary - Diabetic DS 46 is a complete cat food, with a great flavour to encourage your cat to eat as well as regulate the glucose supply.
The reduced starch content stabilises blood sugar and lowers insulin production.
Lower starch food helps to prevent sugar spikes after meals, whilst a high protein content helps to maintain muscle mass in overweight cats.
Insulin sensitivity may improve while your cat is on this diet. Blood sugar levels should be closely monitored and the insulin dose adjusted as necessary.
Pregnancy or lactation, kittens
Changing your pet's diet and length of treatment:
- Low starch: This food contains a reduced level of starch.
- High protein: High protein content. It is essential to maintenance a healthy muscle mass in overweight diabetic cats.
- Gluco modulation: Special formula to help manage the level of blood sugar after eating in diabetic cats.
- Moderate calories: Moderate calorie content to help combat weight gain.
It is advisable to keep your cat on this diet for the rest of its life. Diabetes mellitus in cats cannot usually be cured; however, successful stabilisation can be achieved for many pets with a combination of insulin therapy, dietary management and exercise.
Therapeutic veterinary diets are carefully formulated and recommended to be used in conjunction with veterinary advice and support. Royal Canin strongly recommend you seek advice from your Vet prior to and during feeding of any of these products to your pet.